This past weekend I was lucky enough to take a trip to Julian, CA with some close friends for apple picking and relaxation. Julian is a small, quaint town in San Diego County that is known for its fall apple harvest. From the large crowds there this weekend, you can tell this is the place for all things apple!
The day started off with apple picking just a little ways before our destination in Julian. I was warned that apples in California are rather small in comparison to upstate NY apples, for all of you east coasters, like myself. These apples may be small but are just as delicious…I snacked on one…or three while picking 😉 Our pickings for the day included Jonathon and Golden Delicious.
Below are some snap shots of our warm, sunny day.
Of course the weekend would not be complete without homemade apple crisp from our freshly picked apples – made by my friend’s mother YUM.
Quick Apple Facts:
- 1 medium apple contains ~95 calories and 4 grams of fiber
- Soluble fiber found in apples may help lower cholesterol
- Antioxidant quercetin may boost exercise endurance by making oxygen more available to the lungs
- Provides 14% of your daily vitamin C
- Skin on apples acts as a natural teeth brushing mechanism